If you are asking yourself the question “Is popping pimples bad?“, the answer is a definite yes. Most people develop pimples at some stage of their life. So rest assured that it is completely normal and there is nothing to worry about. However, it is a distraction, especially for those who are extremely conscious about their looks.
Whenever we stare at ourselves in the mirror, the first thing that we notice is our acne and for most of us, it makes us feel very self-conscious. Because of this constant feeling, most of us just pop the pimples, without even considering the future effects. Another main reason why most people tend to pop their pimples, is because it is extremely easy to do so. All it requires is just a bit of pressure and then it pops. When doing so, you are probably thinking that you have gotten rid of the problem, but in reality, you just made the problem worse.
If you are desperate to get rid of your pimples, then there are many safe ways to do it. The best course of action is to visit a doctor/dermatologist where they will use a sterilized needle to cut the pimple open. If you try to do it yourself, you may develop the following troubles:
Why Is Popping Pimples Bad?
1. It may increase the inflammation – Most of us pop our pimples to improve our facial appearance, but in reality it can make the situation worse. It may increase the risk of inflammation. Because of our dirty hands and all the continuous pressing and pulling on it, the skin around the pimple may get inflamed and it may result in long term swelling.
2. It can leave you with scars – In trying to get rid of your pimple, you may develop scars on your face, which will haunt you for the rest of your life. When you pop a pimple, it should be done in a proper, clean environment with the help of sterilized needles. Doing it yourself increases the probability of getting a scar.
3. You may develop scabs – Even if you are lucky enough not to get a permanent scar on your face, it is extremely likely that you will develop an ugly looking scab. Pimples can be easily covered with the help of different creams, medications or some makeup. But a scab is almost impossible to cover.
4. It may cause discoloration – If you are unlucky, the skin color near your acne may change slightly. This condition is termed as Post Inflammatory Pigmentation (PIH). It is technically not a scar. It is basically a flat area and is slightly different in color when compared to the rest of your skin. When the pimple gets inflamed badly, you are more likely to develop this. Luckily, it gradually goes away, but sometimes it takes as long as two years.
5. It may lead to infection – When you pop a pimple, you are basically leaving the entire area exposed to bacteria and germs. It is extremely likely that it may get infected, and in case the infection becomes serious, you will need to take a lot of medications to get rid of it.
A pimple will eventually go away; you need to be patient and if you are desperate then visit the clinic. Doing it yourself will do more harm than good. In the meantime, if you need a great soap to help you fight acne, consider the Oleavine Antifungal Soap with Tea Tree and Neem. Until next time!
Disclaimer – Please keep in mind that we are not dermatologists here at Acne Help Today. The information on “Is popping pimples bad?” was posted for informational purposes only. Please consult your doctor and/or dermatologist regarding you health/acne issues.